Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

The Berea Traditional Dulcimer Gathering 2019

Berea was a great learning experience for me! Other than my beginner girlfriend, I've never really got to play with others.
I learned a lot. I learned I wasn't the terrible player I thought I was, but I also learned I have a long way to go to play as well as I want.

But the biggest thing I learned was about my dulcimores I build and what they should be, in my mind, to be the perfect noter/drone dulcimore!

In the past I've told folks you can play noter/drone on any dulcimore.
That statement should read: you can learn the basics on any dulcimer.

I watched as some of our guests struggled while their noter went bump, bump, bump across actions that were way too low and way too slack to properly play to any success.

In my mind I always had the idea that the traditional dulcimore was a totally different musical instrument than the modern dulcimer. But I couldn't prove it because I was never around one except to see a few in stores around Gatlinburg. I had listened to others playing noter/drone on modern instruments online and they seemed to not sound like mine or Dan's or John's builds, but still I would think: is it just me?
I'm not making these comments so you'll buy my dulcimores!
Please buy one from one of the other traditional builders or somebody so you can really get the experience of how a noter/drone style of play really and truly feels. Playing with the noter should be effortless up and down the fretboard in my opinion, without your noter dragging across the frets or pulling your strings off the side of the fretboard. I know a lot of effortless playing comes from playing a lot and learning the noter, but I've played noter/drone for 13 years and I couldn't play some of the instruments if I tried!

I am NOT throwing barbs and jabs and disrespecting your dulcimers............ just in case you may be reading this........ because your dulcimers are most likely perfect for what they're designed for.

I'm just saying if you want to have a great, effortless experience at playing the noter/drone style, please buy a dulcimore designed to do so and I think you will be soooooooooo much more happy!

So, with those comments out of the way, I loved the workshops on modes and tunings! I still stay confused about those and hope we do it again next year!

It was great seeing all the folks I've known for years online. Everyone was so nice and friendly and helpful and I only hope I was the same toward them that they were toward me.

Shucks.............. even Pawpaw Ken Hulme isn't the grouchy varmint some people make him out to be!

Thanks to each and every person that worked so hard to make OUR (the traditional players) gathering, a nice gathering! You all are the best!

You can click the link below to view some photos and videos from the gathering. Gathering is scheduled for around May 14-17 2020. I'll update if that time changes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Bobby, My first dulcimer was meant to be played noter/drone and that's how I started years ago before youtube. No one here to learn from and when I finally did find people a few years ago, they only played chord/melody. So what did I do? Had the action lowered and added the 6+ fret. I regret that now. And you're right about us trying to make our dulcimer do what it was not meant for. Anyway, I had a great time and thank you and Dulcimore Dan for helping me improve my strumming. Sure liked that little piglet, but it went to the right person. Nina (aka Dulcinina)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Nina! It was great meeting you! I think we will do what we have to do sometimes to have friends to play music with. Early on I made a chromatic just so I could capo and play with other musicians.
      I hope I was able to help you and others that were there. I can't wait until next year! Thanks again friend!

      Delete