Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

A new design for Slate Creek Dulcimers!

Coming soon! The Honaker Pattern:
I've wanted to introduce a Virginia replica from before 1900 for some time now and some of my customers have even asked me if I built one.
My current Hogfiddles are pretty much a combination of features form Traditional Virginia patterns with a few of my own designs thrown in. So I've been searching for a vintage pattern I could do as a replica.
Problem is, with most Virginia patterns being the teardrop, or boat paddle style there's only subtle differences here and there, and no matter what I made as a replica among that pattern style it wouldn't turn out much different than what I already make.

So in my search I got out my copy of Ralph Lee Smith's book: Appalachian Dulcimer Traditions. I had also searched the internet for images of vintage Virginia dulcimores trying to maybe find something that stood out from everything else, or at the least was very different than I already made.
Finally in Ralph's book on page 134 (figure 8.3) I found what I was looking for. A holly leaf shaped pattern made by James A. Honaker in Bland County Virginia/Mercer County West Virginia somewhere around the mid 1800's. (It was all Virginia if built before the Civil War)
I was especially interested after I found it was from that area because it's the closest vintage dulcimore found that I know of in location of my home in Buchanan County Virginia.

Then, a little bit of discouragement hit me. As I recalled one of my fellow traditional luthiers had built this pattern and I didn't want to intrude upon his sales. I found out it was Kevin Messenger so I messaged him asking if he would mind if I built them. He said go for it and even gave me all his info about the dulcimore to help me out! Thanks Kevin! I want to post his website in case you would like to order one from him, rather than me: https://www.kmdulcimers.com/
He's an excellent luthier and will do you a great job!

It will take me a while to get this pattern sorted as the sides will be quite a challenge. Once I'm confident I can do it I will be offering 3 versions:
The Replica: Will be as close as possible to the original as I can get it with the info I have.
27 inch vsl.
17 diatonic frets.
4 strings tuned Daaa or dddd. Other tunings may be possible.
Wood violin style tuning pegs.
1-1/4 inch tall Fiddle sides.

The Hogfiddle version:
27 inch vsl.
17 diatonic frets standard, extra frets possible.
3 or 4 strings, various tunings.
My design peghead with zither tuning pins.
1-1/4 inch tall Smooth sides.

The Buchanan version:
27 inch vsl.
19 frets standard. 6+ and 14+ frets included.
3 strings. various tunings.
1-1/2 inch wide cantilever fretboard.
My design peghead with zither pins and violin fine tuners.
2 inch tall Smooth sides.

I'm currently working on a Hogfiddle version so stay tuned for photos!

5 comments:

  1. It will be beautiful as your past work. Your work is Truly amazing. Looking forward to seeing your new finished work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need a "tester", let me know, Bobby. That looks like a really interesting piece -- replica or hogfiddle!

    ReplyDelete